Wednesday 25 November 2015

GamerGate Summary

By request – A summary of GamerGate aimed at facilitating the remainder of the thread to be an informed discussion.

Please actually read and watch everything here if you are going to be nasty or holier-than-thou.

I can't possibly cover everything, please look here for much reading:

- The Beginning - 

I advise you to read this (very early) analysis of GamerGate by Liana Kerzner:
               
Liana Kerzner – is a journalist, gamer, cosplayer, and feminist. Of those voices I am aware of, hers is perhaps the most balanced. She tries to be neutral, however the anti-GG faction are so vitriolic and puritanical that it is apparently very difficult. She writes for The Escapist Magazine, an online gaming news outlet that is a key player in what happened with the GamerGate controversy.

I asked Liana if I could direct people to her for further questions about GamerGate, she welcomes polite discussion and said that I should link to her original article from the outset (above).

- The Middle i.e. one year in -

Next I will ask you to look at these videos by YouTuber ‘LeoPirate’:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=62euQFWuQGc SPJ Airplay event, abridged (including bomb threat)
PNG: http://s13.postimg.org/6k3gbqeiv/1437280972897.png

- Today...ish -

Video by prominent GamerGate figure Carl Benjamin: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5uWzZeNLmf4

This man can be reached on Twitter as @Sargon_of_Akkad who I also approached, though he hasn't given me the same carte blanc to direct you to him I know that he already makes a point of talking to anybody, but keep in mind he has a huge amount to scroll through and may not respond at all.

No comments:

Post a Comment